Camino de Santiago - The Camino de Santiago de Compostela, also known in English as The Way of St James, is a collection of old pilgrimage routes. The final destination is Santiago de Compostela in the north west of Spain. Here you will find the finest examples of architecture in all of Europe. For more than 1000 years pilgrims have been walking along the Camino de Santiago. They follow the journey where St. James's remains were carried by boat from Jerusalem to northern Spain where he was buried on the site of what is now the city of Santiago de Compostela. (Walks each day along the Way of St James will not be strenuous, but expect to cover 100 120 km in the week. Coach and back-up car with group all along the route).
Camino de Santiago Programme
- Please see below for a detailed description of the towns we visit in Italy. The programme below is only a sample programme. For specific dates and a detailed programme please see our price list.
- Check in at your airport for flight to Biarritz. Coach transfer to hotel at St Jean Pied-de-Port, where we stay for 1 night, dinner, bed & breakfast.
- Morning drive to Roncesvailles and walk to Espinal. Picnic lunch. Afternoon drive to Zariquiegui and walk to Obanos. Continue to Puenta la Reina for dinner & overnight.
- Morning walk from Puenta la Reina, via the free-flowing wine fountain at Irache, to Villamayor. Drive to Sansol for lunch and walk via Torres del Rio to Viana. Drive to Logrono for dinner & overnight.
- Coach to Najera and walk to Cross. Drive to Santo Domingo and visit the Cathedral to hear the legend of the roasted cock. Lunch. Drive to Redecilla and walk to Villamayor. Dinner, bed & breakfast in Burgos.
- Visit Burgos Cathedral and see tomb of El Cid, the Golden Staircase, and the Flexible Crucifix. Drive to Boadilla and walk to Fromista for picnic lunch. Afternoon walk to Villacazar. Coach to Leon for 1 night, dinner, bed & breakfast.
- Coach to Orbigo and walk to Santibanez. Drive to Foncebadon and walk to Cruz de Hierro where we have a picnic lunch. Afternoon walk to El Acebo. Drive into Ponferrada for 1 night, dinner, bed & breakfast.
- Coach to O’Cebreiro. Visit the church of the Eucharistic Miracle and see the old thatched Pallozas. Walk from Alto San Roque to Fonfria for picnic lunch. Continue walk to Triacastela. Drive via Samos and the submerged village of Portomarine to Santiago de Compostela. Check into hotel for 2 nights on full board.
- Morning walk from Lavacolla (traditional washing), to Santiago de Compostela - and visit our goal – the Cathedral of St James. See the Portico of Glory, the Jessi Tree, Master Mateo, embrace the statue of Saint James and see his Tomb under the high altar. Partake in the Pilgrims Mass and enjoy the spectacle of the swinging of the Botafumero. Lunch at hotel. Afternoon short drive to Padron, where St James landed. Return to hotel for final dinner and presentations.
- Morning free in Santiago de Compostela. Lunch at hotel. Afternoon transfer to Santiago airport for our return flight.
& PRICES IN CAMINO DE SANTIAGO | ACCOMMODATION
IN CAMINO DE SANTIAGO