Fatima - Fatima, a world famous Marian shrine located in Portugal, saw the beginning of apparitions to Francisco, Jacinta and Lucia in 1917. Our Ladys appearance was preceeded by an angel, who appeared to the three children a number of times in 1916. The Blessed Virgin appeared on the 13th day of every month between May and October at Cova de Iria. She delivered messages from God, the overriding message was for all mankind to return to God and to make reparation for his sins. She also revealed three secrets to the children and stressed the importance of praying the Rosary in each of Her apparitions. In her June appearance, Our Lady told Lucia that she would take Francisco and Jacinta to Heaven soon but that she was to stay on earth to make Our Lady better known and loved. The people of Fatima, local authorities and even some of their families did not believe that such apparitions were taking place.
On the 13th August, on their way to Cova de Iria, the children were captured by the local authorities and held in jail. The local authorities demanded that they reveal the secrets. However, even though they were interrogated and threatened with death, the children refused to disclose any information. In October the miracle of the sun took place. As Our Lady was about to leave, the sun began whirling in the sky and seemed to plunge towards the ground. Thousands of spectators, who were present during the apparition, suddenly became terrified and fell to their knees in prayer. It was reported that numerous healings took place during this time. Today Fatima is a worldwide place of pilgrimage, thousands of people flock here every year to pray to Our Lady and Our Lord.
- Please see below for a sample itinerary for our Fatima pilgrimage.
- During this pilgrimage we take part in the Masses, the ceremonies and the full religious programme including visits to the Capelinha at Cova de Iria. The Capelinha was built by the local people on the site of the apparitions in 1918. During Her apparitions, Our Lady asked for a chapel to be built in Her honour. We will visit the Basilica of Our Lady of Fatima which overlooks the monument to the Sacred Heart of Jesus. This monument stands over a spring that was discovered. Inside the basilica there are 15 altars dedicated to the 15 mysteries of the rosary.
- We will also see the tombs of Francisco, Jacinta and Lucia. During the apparitions in June 1917, Our Lady told Lucia that Jacinta and Francisco would be joining Her in Heaven soon. In 1918, as the Spanish flu epidemic swept the country, Jacinta and Francisco fell ill.As Our Lady foretold Francisco died in 1919 and Jacinta in 1920. Both bodies of the children were exhumed in 1935 and 1951, it was found that the body of Jacinta was incorrupt.
- During your stay, you will see the church of the Holy Trinity, Adoration Chapel, the museum and attend the blessing of the sick. We will walk the Hungarian way of the Cross to Valinhos, the site of Our Lady's appearance after the childrens return from prison. We will also have the chance to visit the homes of the children of Fatima at Aljustrel, which are almost unchanged since 1917.
- See the Holmoak, Sacred Heart monument, the parish church and the High Cross. We will also see the Berlin Wall located at the entrance to the sanctuary. Walk the Stations of the Cross via the Sacred Way, finally arriving at the Chapel of Calvary which overlooks all of Fatima.
- Join pilgrims from all around the world in an evening torchlight procession to pray the rosary which was requested by Our Lady in Her apparitions.
& PRICES IN FATIMA | ACCOMMODATION